Under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance, a landlord is required to pay relocation assistance to each unit prior to evicting a tenant for certain reasons. Los Angeles landlords are required to pay relocation assistance when they are evicting a tenant for the following most relevant reasons:

  1. Eviction for occupancy of the unit by landlord, landlord’s spouse, grandchild, child, parents, grandparents, or resident manager.
  2. Eviction under the Ellis Act.
  3. Eviction due to primary renovation of the unit.
  4. Eviction pursuant to a government order’s Notice to Vacate.

A tenant can either be an “eligible tenant” or “qualified tenant.” A qualified tenant is one that is over age 62, is handicapped or disabled, or who has minor dependent children. An eligible tenant is everyone else.

The next question to ask is how long the tenant has lived there. If a tenant has lived in a unit for more than three years, the tenant would entitled to greater relocation assistance.

The following chart is relevant until June 30, 2015:

Tenants Tenants with Less Than Three Years Tenants with More Than Three Years Income Below 80% of Area Median Income Tenants Renting in Mom & Pop Properties
Eligible Tenant $7,700 $10,200 $10,200 $7,450
Qualified Tenant $16,350 $19,300 $19,300 $15,000

Relocation assistance under the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance would be part of an eviction and required the Los Angeles Housing Department to be involved. If you have any questions regarding the process, please contact Attorney Anthony Marinaccio at 818-839-5220 to set up a consultation.